If you are a Virginia resident who wants to bet on the NFL, NBA, or college sports, you’ll need an online sports betting account.
A sports betting app — also known as an online sportsbook — is required to place bets. Residents can bet on sports at brick-and-mortar casinos, or on their mobile phones or computers.
This guide explores the best Virginia sports betting sites by comparing the total number of sports and bets offered, odds, live betting features, mobile apps, educational resources, ease of use, and current bonuses and promotions.
Best Online Sports Betting Sites in Virginia
- DraftKings Sportsbook – Best Overall
- FanDuel – Best Live Betting
- BetMGM – Great Mobile App
- William Hill – Good Odds
- BetRivers – Good Bet Variety, Poor Mobile App
Best Overall | Bet Now
20% Deposit Match, up to $1,000
DraftKings is the complete package for both new and experienced sports bettors and daily fantasy sports players. While the live betting, education, and mobile app are all great, I found the unique bets and pre-game statistics DraftKings offers to be the best in the state. Read full review
Best Live Betting | Bet Now
$1,000 Risk-Free Bet
Rattle off any feature you want in a sports betting app and it’s likely FanDuel Sportsbook has got it… and then some. From top-of-the-line live betting and an impressive laundry list of bet types and sports to industry-leading promotions, competitive odds, and innovative live play-by-play contests, FanDuel is a sportsbook for all bettors. Read full review
Great Mobile App | Bet Now
$600 Risk-Free Bet
Make no mistake, despite being a casino-based brand, MGM is all-in on online sports betting. The BetMGM app provides users with a wide collection of sports and bets to wager on, in addition to a full suite of casino and poker games (if available in your state). Read full review
Good Odds | Bet Now
$500 Risk-Free Bet
William Hill combines excellent odds and new customer bonus offers with an above-average mobile app. While I wish the sportsbook offered more education and ongoing promotions, there is a lot to like about William Hill. Read full review
Good Bet Variety, Poor Mobile App | Bet Now
100% Deposit Match up to $250
BetRivers has the foundation of a great sports betting site. It’s one of the premier services for live betting, has a wide variety of sports (the most of any app), and offers great promotions. Mobile bettors, however, will find the slow and clunky app a frustrating user experience. Read full review
Best Betting Odds in Virginia
To determine which Virginia sports betting sites offer the best odds, I recorded and analyzed data from hundreds of games for spread, moneyline, and total bets. The sportsbooks that provide the best odds for each sport are listed below.
|NFL Spread||Below Average||Below Average||Below Average||Average|
|NFL Total||Below Average||Below Average||Below Average||Average|
|NBA Spread||Below Average||Good||Average||Average|
|NBA Total||Below Average||Average||Average||Average|
|NHL Total||Below Average||Average||Below Average||Average|
|NCAAF Moneyline||Below Average||Below Average||Average||Good|
Here is a comparison of Virginia sportsbook deposit options.
|Total Deposit Methods||8||8||8||5|
|Deposit Min/Max - Debit/Credit Card||$5/$2,000||$10/Varies||$0/Varies||$20/$1,000|
|Deposit Min/Max - PayPal||$5/$2,000||$10/Varies||$10/Varies||$5|
|Online Bank Transfer||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Here is a comparison of Virginia sportsbook withdrawal options.
|Minimum Withdrawal||$1 - $15||None Listed||$10||$20|
|Total Withdrawal Methods||4||4||6||6|
|Withdrawal Min/Max - PayPal||$5/Varies||None listed||$10/Varies||$20|
|Online Bank Transfer||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Prepaid Gift Card||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Virginia Sports Betting Timeline
Here is a short timeline of how Virginia sports betting became a reality:
- 2018 - Delegate Mark Sickles introduces a bill to legalize online sports betting in Virginia. Some of the bill's elements make it to the final legislation, but some key components, such as the total number of licenses, are drastically changed.
- 2019 - The Virginia legislature and Governor Ralph Northam continues working on different variations of a sports betting bill throughout the year.
- 2020 - HB 896 is approved in April of 2020. The bill includes the legalization of online sports betting and approves building five casinos across the state.
- 2021 - Online sports betting launches on January 21. FanDuel is the only sportsbook to launch on this day, despite more than 12 licenses being available in the state. Virginia does not give residents a launch date beforehand, which is surprising given the pre-planned rollouts and fanfare that preceded rollouts in other states. Sickles introduces HB 1847 in January of 2021 to add a few things to existing sports betting legislation, including more online-only licenses, legalizing betting on the Olympics, and clarifying that casinos can operate brick-and-mortar sportsbooks in addition to online sportsbooks.
Best Virginia Sportsbooks Summary
Below is a summary of the best online sportsbooks currently available in Virginia.
|Sportsbook||Minimum Deposit||Sports & Bets Offered||Odds||Mobile Betting||Bonuses & Promotions||Live Betting||Overall||Bet Now|
|DraftKings Sportsbook||$5||Bet Now|
|FanDuel Sportsbook||$10||Bet Now|
|William Hill||$5||Bet Now|
|BetRivers Sportsbook||$10||Bet Now|
DraftKings Sportsbook Virginia Summary 2021
DraftKings is the complete package for both new and experienced sports bettors. The variety of sports and bets offered, the outstanding education and statistics, and the unique live betting experience make DraftKings a winner in 2021. Bet Now
Minimum deposit: $5
DraftKings Sportsbook Pros
1) DraftKings offers the widest variety of bets I’ve seen so far from a sportsbook. DraftKings offers betting pools, daily fantasy sports, instant bets, and a Sports Betting National Championship contest in addition to all standard bet types.
2) While DraftKings provides top-notch mobile betting and live betting, I was most impressed by the sportsbook’s pre-game statistics and betting trends. DraftKings is in a class of its own in this category, giving users statistics, injuries, team standings, and betting insights to make informed bets. No other sportsbooks offer the same quality or quantity of useful pre-game information.
3) Daily promotions are available for customers, including profit boosts, risk-free bets, and parlay insurance, amongst others.
DraftKings Sportsbook Cons
1) The welcome offer of a 20% deposit match up to $1,000 has a 25X rollover, the highest of any welcome promotion I've seen.
FanDuel Sportsbook Virginia Summary 2021
FanDuel Sportsbook is an accomplished offering in every measurable way — and one we recommend for bettors at every experience level. Besides providing the full gamut of classic sports betting features, and a standout live betting experience, FanDuel is an innovator. (A must-see is the live, free-to-play PlayAction contest.) With its steady stream of new promotions, contests, and bet types, FanDuel has clearly staked its claim in the top echelon of sportsbooks. Bet Now
Minimum deposit: $10
FanDuel Sportsbook Pros
1) The seemingly endless variety of bets and prop bets, daily fantasy sports, and free-to-play contests is what makes FanDuel Sportsbook one of the premier sports betting apps.
2) Bonuses and promotions are generous and plentiful — so much so that nearly every day we’re tempted to open the app to see what new and crazy incentives have been activated.
3) The must-see in FanDuel’s already impressive live and mobile betting game is the free-to-play PlayAction contests. It’s an exciting glimpse into the future of live betting.
FanDuel Sportsbook Cons
1) Odds are not as competitive as other sportsbooks.
BetMGM Virginia Summary 2021
Make no mistake, despite being a casino-based brand, MGM is all-in on online sports betting. The BetMGM app provides users with a wide collection of sports and bets to wager on, in addition to a full suite of casino and poker games. Bet Now
Minimum deposit: $10
1) BetMGM’s flexibility allows users to quickly place, edit, and look up an abundant variety of bets (especially prop bets) to make.
2) The new-customer promotion is a risk-free bet of up to $600 is a highlight of BetMGM’s slate of promotions for new and existing bettors.
1) Our main knock is that the mobile app feels a bit slow or sluggish, at times, compared to competitors.
William Hill Virginia Summary 2021
William Hill combines excellent odds and new customer bonus offers with an above-average mobile app. While I wish the sportsbook offered more education and ongoing promotions, there is a lot to like about William Hill. Bet Now
Minimum deposit: $5
William Hill Pros
1) William Hill offers excellent bonuses for new customers, competing with the best bonuses in the industry. For existing customers, William Hill does not provide nearly as many ongoing seasonal promotions, but when it does, they are worthwhile.
2) William Hill offers excellent odds for NHL spread bets, MLB spread bets, and NBA moneyline bets, placing #2 in our 2021 odds rankings.
William Hill Cons
1) William Hill’s education section is lackluster and needs to be improved in both quantity and quality.
BetRivers Virginia Summary 2021
BetRivers has the foundation of a great sports betting site. It’s one of the premier services for live betting, has a wide variety of sports (the most of any app), and offers industry-leading promotions. Mobile bettors, however, will find the slow and clunky app a frustrating user experience. Bet Now
Minimum Deposit: $10
Why Choose BetRivers Sportsbook:
- Terrific for live betting. BetRivers is one of a few sportsbooks to offer live streaming of sports games in-app. Live streaming is currently limited to tennis and soccer but has the potential to expand. BetRivers also provides a wide range of bets, in addition to instant bets (e.g., each point of a tennis match). I see instant bets becoming more popular in the years to come. For example, imagine being able to bet on key plays of a Steelers game.
- Low-rollover bonus. The 100% deposit match promotion with a 1X rollover is the best bonus I have seen in Pennsylvania for 2020 thus far. If you are new to sports betting, a 1X rollover is a perfect way to dip your feet in the water while receiving a bonus.
- Bonuses: Promotions change throughout the year, but typically BetRivers offers a 100% first deposit match up to $250. This bonus is unique because it only has a 1X rollover, where typical rollovers range from 3X – 10X.
Are there any casinos in Virginia?
Residents of Virginia are currently limited to betting on sports online or with their mobile phones. That said, HB 896 gave the following cities permission to build new brick-and-mortar casinos. These casinos will offer sports betting, in addition to slots, blackjack, roulette, and other casino games.
How do I bet online in Virginia?
- 1. Create an account. Every online sportsbook has an online website as well as a mobile app. To create an account on the app or website, you will need your name, address, phone number, and email address. Some sportsbooks might ask for more information such as social security number; which is normal.
- 2. Fund the account. Deposit money into your newly created account. In Virginia, standard banking methods include credit/debit cards, PayPal, ACH (e-check), Bank Transfers, Play+ Cards, and PayNearMe.
- 3. Add your bet(s) to the betslip. To do this, click on the bet that you want to place.
- 4. Select the wager amount. Enter the amount of money you want to wager. The bet slip will display your total wager and potential payout. Keep in mind, the potential payout includes the money that you are wagering. For example, in the screenshot below, you are betting $10 to win $8.80. Thus, the potential payout is $18.80 (total wager $10 + potential winnings $8.80).
- 5. Finalize the bet. Place your bet and set an alarm for game time!
What forms of gambling are legal in Virginia?
Here are the forms of legal and illegal gambling in Virginia:
- Online Sports Betting - Legal (launched on 1/21/21)
- Online Horse Betting - Legal
- Daily Fantasy Sports - Legal (launched in 2016)
- Online Lottery - Legal
- iGaming (online slots) - Not Legal
- Online Poker - Not Legal
- Offshore Sportsbooks - Not Legal
Popular Virginia Sports Teams
Residents of Virginia can bet on all professional and collegiate sports (except Virginia collegiate teams), which include some of the following D.C. teams:
- D.C. United (MLS) Team Website // Schedule // News
- Washington Capitals (NHL) Team Website // Schedule // News
- Washington Football Team (NFL) Team Website // Schedule // News
- Washington Nationals (MLB) Team Website // Schedule // News
- Washington Wizards (NBA) Team Website // Schedule // News
What sports leagues can I bet on in Virginia?
Almost all domestic and international leagues are available to bet on with Virginia sportsbooks:
- Football - NFL, NCAA, CFL
- Basketball - NBA, NCAA, WNBA, International Leagues
- Soccer - English Premier League, MLS, International Leagues
- Baseball - MLB + International Leagues
- Hockey - NHL + International Leagues
- Golf - PGA Tour, LPGA Tour, International Leagues
- Tennis - All Major U.S. Tournaments + International Matches
- Other Sports - UFC/MMA, Motor Sports, Boxing, Cricket, etc.
How to Read Odds
Odds represent the likelihood of an outcome occurring. In sports betting, each team is assigned odds that represent the likelihood of them winning the game. American odds are what you will see displayed on every U.S. sportsbook and sports betting app.
The first thing you will notice when reading odds will be that:
- Odds have either a plus or minus in front of them.
- Odds are in terms of 100.
Betting Odds are written in terms of 100 as an industry standard. The easiest way to think of the plus and minus signs is as follows: If it is a plus, you will receive more than a $100 payout on a $100 bet. If it is a minus, you will have to bet more than $100 to win a $100 payout.
Thankfully, you can view your potential winnings on each bet before placing it at an online sportsbook. That said, it is beneficial to understand the betting odds.
Keep in mind for both spreads and totals, if the game ends in a draw for the bet, you get your stake back but do not win or lose any additional money.
What is a Moneyline bet?
A moneyline bet is a wager on which team will win the game outright. Both the favorite and the underdog are given odds to win the game. View sample bet slip.
|Moneyline Odds||How to Read it||What it Means|
|Lions +130||Lions plus 130||By betting $100 you will win $130 if the Lions win|
|Packers -150||Packers minus 150||To win $100, you must wager $150 on the Packers to win|
What is a Spread bet?
A spread bet is a wager on which team will cover the spread or point spread. Underdogs will be given additional points with the spread, while the favorite will have to win by a certain amount of points to cover the spread. View sample bet slip.
|Spread Odds||How to Read it||What it Means|
|Lakers + 5 (-110)||Lakers plus 5 points at minus 110 odds||The Lakers must win the game, or lose by less than 5 for you to win your bet|
|Rockets -5 (-110)||Rockets minus 5 points at minus 110 odds||The Rockets must win the game by more than 5 points for you to win your bet. A tie is a push, meaning you don't win or lose.|
What is an Over/Under (Total) bet?
An over/under bet focuses on how many points are scored, regardless of who wins the game. After a total point score has been set, bettors can wager whether the game's actual score will be over or under the preset point score. View sample bet slip.
|Total Odds||How to Read it|
|Over 7 (-115)||In order to win $100, you must bet $115 on the overall combined run score to be higher than 7|
|Under 7 (-110)||In order to win $100, you must wager $110 on the total combined run score to be less than 7|
More of a visual person? Here's a YouTube video covering moneyline, spread, and total bets.
What is a Parlay bet?
A parlay bet is a group of bets, typically spread, moneyline, or total bets, combined into one bet to increase the payout odds. Every separate bet must win to win a parlay bet. View example bet slip.
What is a Future bet?
A futures bet is a bet on an event that takes place in days, weeks, or months. The most common future bets are placed on what team will win the finals before the season starts. View example bet slip.
What are Bonus Rollover Requirements?
Rollover requirements are requirements bettors MUST fulfill before they can withdraw the bonus money. Each type of bonus has different terms and conditions, which you should examine before accepting.
Rollover requirements for sports betting often range between 1X-10X, with some extreme requirements going all the way up to 15X. For example, let’s say you deposit $100 and receive a $50 bonus with a 5X rollover. Before you can withdraw the $50 in bonus funds, you have to wager $750 (($100 + $50)x5). Clearly, the $50 bonus is a lot harder to obtain if you don’t bet frequently.
This table gives you an idea of how much you will have to wager before withdrawing your bonus at multiple rollover rates. We will assume each deposit made is $100.
|Bonus Percentage ($100 Deposit)||Bonus Amount||Bonus Withdrawal with 1X Rollover||Bonus Withdrawal with 3X Rollover||Bonus Withdrawal with 5X Rollover||Bonus Withdrawal with 10X Rollover|
|25% Deposit Match||$25||(100+25)x1 = $125||(100+25)x3 = $375||(100+25)x5 = $625||(100+25)x10 = $1,250|
|50% Deposit Match||$50||(100+50)x1 = $150||(100+50)x3 = $450||(100+50)x5 = $750||(100+50)x10 = $1,500|
|100% Deposit Match||$100||(100+100)x1 = $200||(100+100)x3 = $600||(100+100)x5 = $1,000||(100+100)x10 = $2,000|
Is sports betting legal in Virginia?
Sports betting is legal in Virginia online. Sports betting will also be legal at brick-and-mortar casinos in Virginia once they are built. The first legal sports bet in Virginia took place on January 21, 2021.
Governor Ralph Northam signed HB 896 into law in April 2020. The bill legalized sports betting online in Virginia. It also permitted five Virginia cities to build casinos — Bristol, Danville, Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Richmond — which will also offer sports betting.
Are any sports wagers prohibited in Virginia?
Yes. Virginia prohibits betting on Virginia collegiate sports. This means you can bet on any collegiate team except for those from Virginia. Also, live betting on collegiate teams and placing prop bets on any college player are also prohibited. With these laws, Virginia is one of the country's strictest states in terms of betting on collegiate sports.
How old do you have to be to bet on sports in Virginia?
Anybody who is 21 years or older can bet on sports in Virginia. As long as you are 21 and within state lines, you do not have to be a resident of Iowa to bet on sports.
If you live in Virginia and travel to a state that does not have legal betting, you will not be able to bet. Your phone or laptop uses geo-technology to make sure you are within state lines. The only people prohibited from betting on sports include athletes, coaches, refs, and other related personnel.
Do you have to pay taxes on sports betting in Virginia?
According to the IRS, “Gambling winnings are fully taxable, and you must report the income on your tax return.” Form W-2G is used to report gambling winnings and gambling losses, which may be deductible.
For online gambling winnings, residents must send in Form W-2G when certain winning thresholds are reached. For example, if a player wins more than $600 or at least 300 times the wager amount, the form must be filled out.
Is it legal to bet on horse racing in Virginia?
It is legal to bet on horse racing in Virginia. Residents can bet at racetracks or with legal online providers such as TVG, BetAmerica, and TwinSpires. You can not bet on horses from Virginia sportsbooks.
Does Virginia offer an online lottery?
Yes, the Virginia Lottery is one of a handful of lottery systems to include online games. Residents can purchase traditional draw game tickets such as Mega Millions and Pick 3. There are also dozens of online lottery games that are essentially online slot machines. Players can wager as little as $0.05 per line, similar to penny slots at a casino.
Is DraftKings sportsbook legal in Virginia?
DraftKings is a safe and legal sports betting option for residents of Virginia.
Is FanDuel sportsbook legal in Virginia?
FanDuel is a safe and legal sports betting option for residents of Virginia. FanDuel obtained its license from the Virginia Lottery.
Is Bovada legal in Virginia?
Bovada, BetOnline, and MyBookie are considered offshore sportsbooks and are illegal. These sportsbooks are not approved by the Virginia Lottery, which regulates all legal Virginia sportsbooks.
For Moneyline.com’s annual best online sportsbooks review, we collected more than 36,000 data points over five months from 20 sportsbooks that serve 11 states where full-scale mobile betting is legalized. Hundreds of hours were spent testing and scoring each sportsbook (mobile and online/desktop) in seven core categories: sports and bets offered, odds, live betting, mobile betting, education, ease of use, and bonuses and promotions. The results determined each sportsbook’s overall rating.
Data from more than 1,700 bets (including moneyline, spread and total bets) was used to generate each sportsbook’s comparative odds ranking. Leagues and bet types collected include NCAA football moneyline bets, NCAA basketball moneyline bets, NFL moneyline, spread and total bets, NBA spread, moneyline and total bets, NHL moneyline, puckline and total bets, and soccer 3-way result (moneyline) bets. When collecting odds, we made sure to collect the same games at the same time for each sportsbook, ensuring data accuracy.
About Moneyline.com’s chief sportsbook researcher, Joey Shadeck: I’ve been a hobby sports bettor for more than six years, placing hundreds of bets on my favorite sports (football, basketball, MMA) and teams (Packers, Spartans, and whoever is playing the Lions). Beyond sports betting, I’m known for saying “Wanna bet on it?” in almost any situation and that is how I found out I can eat 42 chicken nuggets in less than 20 minutes.
As of February 2021, 22 different states have legalized sports betting to some capacity. Of those 22 states, the following 11 have legalized full-scale mobile betting: Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada (must register in-person), New Hampshire, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia.
Learn more about how we test.