West Virginia Sports Betting
If you are a West Virginia resident who wants to bet on the NFL, NBA, or college sports, you’ll need an online sports betting account.
A sports betting app — also known as an online sportsbook — is required to place bets. Mountain State residents can bet on sports at brick-and-mortar casinos, or on their mobile phones or computers.
This guide explores the best West Virginia sports betting sites by comparing the total number of sports and bets offered, odds, live betting features, mobile apps, educational resources, ease of use, and current bonuses and promotions.
Best Online Sports Betting Sites in West Virginia
- DraftKings Sportsbook – Best Overall
- FanDuel – Best Live Betting
- BetMGM – Great Mobile App
- William Hill – Good Odds
- BetRivers – Good Bet Variety
DraftKings delivers the ultimate package for sports bettors, including unique contests and bet types, industry-leading pre-game statistics, excellent education for beginners, Daily Fantasy contests, and private pools with friends. This outstanding all-around experience makes DraftKings our top overall sportsbook in 2021. Read full review
20% Deposit Match, up to $1,000
Best live betting
Rattle off any feature you want in a sports betting app and it’s likely FanDuel Sportsbook has got it… and then some. From top-of-the-line live betting and an impressive laundry list of bet types and sports to industry-leading promotions, competitive odds, and innovative live play-by-play contests, FanDuel is a sportsbook for all bettors. Read full review
$1,000 Risk-Free Bet
Great mobile app
BetMGM is a solid option for people who enjoy betting on sports, online poker, and online casino games. For those who exclusively want to bet on sports, there are better options with better odds and more educational content. Read full review
$600 Risk-Free Bet
William Hill combines excellent odds and new customer bonus offers with an above-average mobile app. While I wish the sportsbook offered more education and ongoing promotions, there is a lot to like about William Hill. Read full review
$500 Risk-Free Bet
Good bet variety
BetRivers has the foundation of a great sports betting site. It’s one of the premier services for live betting, has a wide variety of sports (the most of any app), and offers great promotions. Mobile bettors, however, will find the slow and clunky app a frustrating user experience. Read full review
100% Deposit Match up to $250
No-Brainer Bets Daily Newsletter
Best Betting Odds in West Virginia
To determine which West Virginia sports betting sites offer the best odds, we recorded and analyzed data from hundreds of games for spread, moneyline, and total bets. The sportsbooks that provide the best odds for each sport are listed below.
|NFL Spread||Below Average||Below Average||Below Average|
|NFL Total||Below Average||Below Average||Below Average|
|NBA Spread||Below Average||Good||Average|
|NBA Total||Below Average||Average||Average|
|NHL Total||Below Average||Average||Below Average|
|NCAAF Moneyline||Below Average||Below Average||Average|
Here is a comparison of deposit options from top West Virginia sportsbooks.
|Total Deposit Methods||8||8||8|
|Deposit Min/Max - Debit/Credit Card||$5/$2,000||$10/Varies||$0/Varies|
|Deposit Min/Max - PayPal||$5/$2,000||$10/Varies||$10/Varies|
|Online Bank Transfer||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Here is a comparison of withdrawal options from top West Virginia sportsbooks.
|Minimum Withdrawal||$1 - $15||None Listed||$10|
|Total Withdrawal Methods||4||4||6|
|Withdrawal Min/Max - PayPal||$5/Varies||None listed||$10/Varies|
|Online Bank Transfer||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Prepaid Gift Card||No||Yes||Yes|
West Virginia Sports Betting Timeline
Here's a short timeline of how West Virginia sports betting became a reality:
- 2017 - West Virginia was actually one of the most progressive states, drafting bills that would legalize sports betting if the Supreme Court overturned the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992 (PAPSA).
- 2018 - S 415 and H 4396 were passed in March of 2018. These two bills legalized sports betting on professional and collegiate sports, pending the reversal of PAPSA. The first sports bet was taken in August at Hollywood Casino, three months after the Supreme Court overturned PAPSA.
- 2021 - There are currently four sportsbooks accepting online wagers in the state of West Virginia.
Best West Virginia Sportsbooks Summary
Below is a summary of the best online sportsbooks currently available in West Virginia.
DraftKings Sportsbook West Virginia Summary 2021
DraftKings is the complete package for both new and experienced sports bettors. The variety of sports and bets offered, the outstanding education and statistics, and the unique live betting experience make DraftKings a winner in 2021. Bet Now
Minimum deposit: $5
DraftKings Sportsbook Pros
1) DraftKings offers the widest variety of bets I’ve seen so far from a sportsbook. DraftKings offers betting pools, daily fantasy sports, instant bets, and a Sports Betting National Championship contest in addition to all standard bet types.
2) While DraftKings provides top-notch mobile betting and live betting, I was most impressed by the sportsbook’s pre-game statistics and betting trends. DraftKings is in a class of its own in this category, giving users statistics, injuries, team standings, and betting insights to make informed bets. No other sportsbooks offer the same quality or quantity of useful pre-game information.
3) Daily promotions are available for customers, including profit boosts, risk-free bets, and parlay insurance, amongst others.
DraftKings Sportsbook Cons
1) The welcome offer of a 20% deposit match up to $1,000 hasa 25X rollover, the highest of any welcome promotion I've seen.
FanDuel Sportsbook West Virginia Summary 2021
FanDuel Sportsbook is an accomplished offering in every measurable way — and one we recommend for bettors at every experience level. Besides providing the full gamut of classic sports betting features, and a standout live betting experience, FanDuel is an innovator. (A must-see is the live, free-to-play PlayAction contest.) With its steady stream of new promotions, contests, and bet types, FanDuel has clearly staked its claim in the top echelon of sportsbooks. Bet Now
Minimum deposit: $10
FanDuel Sportsbook Pros
1) The seemingly endless variety of bets and prop bets, daily fantasy sports, and free-to-play contests is what makes FanDuel Sportsbook one of the premier sports betting apps.
2) Bonuses and promotions are generous and plentiful — so much so that nearly every day we’re tempted to open the app to see what new and crazy incentives have been activated.
3) The must-see in FanDuel’s already impressive live and mobile betting game is the free-to-play PlayAction contests. It’s an exciting glimpse into the future of live betting.
FanDuel Sportsbook Cons
1) Odds are not as competitive as other sportsbooks.
BetMGM West Virginia Summary 2021
Make no mistake, despite being a casino-based brand, MGM is all-in on online sports betting. The BetMGM app provides users with a wide collection of sports and bets to wager on, in addition to a full suite of casino and poker games. Bet Now
Minimum deposit: $10
1) BetMGM’s flexibility allows users to quickly place, edit, and look up an abundant variety of bets (especially prop bets) to make.
2) The new-customer promotion is a risk-free bet of up to $600 is a highlight of BetMGM’s slate of promotions for new and existing bettors.
1) Our main knock is that the mobile app feels a bit slow or sluggish, at times, compared to competitors.
What West Virginia casinos offer in-person sports betting?
Residents of West Virginia can bet on sports in person at the following casinos and racetracks. This list was updated in January 2021.
How do I bet online in West Virginia?
- Create an account. Every online sportsbook has an online website as well as a mobile app. To create an account on the app or website, you will need your name, address, phone number, and email address. Some sportsbooks might ask for more information such as Social Security number, which is normal.
- Fund the account. Deposit money into your newly created account. In West Virginia, standard banking methods include credit/debit cards, PayPal, ACH (e-check), Bank Transfers, Play+ Cards, and PayNearMe.
- Add your bet(s) to the bet slip. To do this, click on the bet that you want to place.
- Select the wager amount. Enter the amount of money you want to wager. The bet slip will display your total wager and potential payout. Keep in mind, the potential payout includes the money that you are wagering. For example, in the screenshot below, you are betting $10 to win $8.80. Thus, the potential payout is $18.80 — your total wager ($10) + potential winnings ($8.80).
- Finalize the bet. Place your bet and set an alarm for game time!
What types of gambling are legal in West Virginia?
Here are the forms of legal gambling in West Virginia:
- Online Sports Betting - Legal
- Online Horse Betting - Legal
- Daily Fantasy Sports - Legal
- iGaming (online slots) - Not legal
- Online Poker - Not legal
- Online Lottery - Not offered
- Offshore Sportsbooks - Not legal
Popular West Virginia sports teams
Residents of West Virginia can bet on all professional and collegiate sports, which include some of the following collegiate teams in West Virginia:
What sports leagues can I bet on in West Virginia?
Almost all domestic and international leagues are available to bet on with West Virginia sportsbooks:
- Football - NFL, NCAA, CFL
- Basketball - NBA, NCAA, WNBA, International Leagues
- Soccer - English Premier League, MLS, International Leagues
- Baseball - MLB + International Leagues
- Hockey - NHL + International Leagues
- Golf - PGA Tour, LPGA Tour, International Leagues
- Tennis - All Major U.S. Tournaments + International Matches
- Other Sports - UFC/MMA, Motor Sports, Boxing, Cricket, etc.
How to Read Odds
Odds represent the likelihood of an outcome occurring. In sports betting, each team is assigned odds that represent the likelihood of them winning the game. American odds are what you will see displayed on every U.S. sportsbook and sports betting app.
The first thing you will notice when reading odds will be that:
- Odds have either a plus or minus in front of them.
- Odds are in terms of 100.
Betting Odds are written in terms of 100 as an industry standard. The easiest way to think of the plus and minus signs is as follows: If it is a plus, you will receive more than a $100 payout on a $100 bet. If it is a minus, you will have to bet more than $100 to win a $100 payout.
Thankfully, you can view your potential winnings on each bet before placing it at an online sportsbook. That said, it is beneficial to understand the betting odds.
Keep in mind for both spreads and totals, if the game ends in a draw for the bet, you get your stake back but do not win or lose any additional money.
What is a Moneyline bet?
A moneyline bet is a wager on which team will win the game outright. Both the favorite and the underdog are given odds to win the game. View sample bet slip.
|Moneyline Odds||How to Read it||What it Means|
|Lions +130||Lions plus 130||By betting $100 you will win $130 if the Lions win|
|Packers -150||Packers minus 150||To win $100, you must wager $150 on the Packers to win|
What is a Spread bet?
A spread bet is a wager on which team will cover the spread or point spread. Underdogs will be given additional points with the spread, while the favorite will have to win by a certain amount of points to cover the spread. View sample bet slip.
|Spread Odds||How to Read it||What it Means|
|Lakers + 5 (-110)||Lakers plus 5 points at minus 110 odds||The Lakers must win the game, or lose by less than 5 for you to win your bet|
|Rockets -5 (-110)||Rockets minus 5 points at minus 110 odds||The Rockets must win the game by more than 5 points for you to win your bet. A tie is a push, meaning you don't win or lose.|
What is an Over/Under (Total) bet?
An over/under bet focuses on how many points are scored, regardless of who wins the game. After a total point score has been set, bettors can wager whether the game's actual score will be over or under the preset point score. View sample bet slip.
|Total Odds||How to Read it|
|Over 7 (-115)||In order to win $100, you must bet $115 on the overall combined run score to be higher than 7|
|Under 7 (-110)||In order to win $100, you must wager $110 on the total combined run score to be less than 7|
More of a visual person? Here's a YouTube video covering moneyline, spread, and total bets.
What is a Parlay bet?
A parlay bet is a group of bets, typically spread, moneyline, or total bets, combined into one bet to increase the payout odds. Every separate bet must win to win a parlay bet. View example bet slip.
What is a Future bet?
A futures bet is a bet on an event that takes place in days, weeks, or months. The most common future bets are placed on what team will win the finals before the season starts. View example bet slip.
What are Bonus Rollover Requirements?
Rollover requirements are requirements bettors MUST fulfill before they can withdraw the bonus money. Each type of bonus has different terms and conditions, which you should examine before accepting.
Rollover requirements for sports betting often range between 1X-10X, with some extreme requirements going all the way up to 15X. For example, let’s say you deposit $100 and receive a $50 bonus with a 5X rollover. Before you can withdraw the $50 in bonus funds, you have to wager $750 (($100 + $50)x5). Clearly, the $50 bonus is a lot harder to obtain if you don’t bet frequently.
This table gives you an idea of how much you will have to wager before withdrawing your bonus at multiple rollover rates. We will assume each deposit made is $100.
|Bonus Percentage ($100 Deposit)||Bonus Amount||Bonus Withdrawal with 1X Rollover||Bonus Withdrawal with 3X Rollover||Bonus Withdrawal with 5X Rollover||Bonus Withdrawal with 10X Rollover|
|25% Deposit Match||$25||(100+25)x1 = $125||(100+25)x3 = $375||(100+25)x5 = $625||(100+25)x10 = $1,250|
|50% Deposit Match||$50||(100+50)x1 = $150||(100+50)x3 = $450||(100+50)x5 = $750||(100+50)x10 = $1,500|
|100% Deposit Match||$100||(100+100)x1 = $200||(100+100)x3 = $600||(100+100)x5 = $1,000||(100+100)x10 = $2,000|
Is sports betting legal in West Virginia?
West Virginia sports betting is legal online and at brick-and-mortar casinos and racetracks. It became legal in March 2018 when Governor Jim Justice allowed S 415 and H 4396 to proceed into law without his signature. The first legal sports bet in West Virginia was then placed on August 30th, 2018. Jason Barrett bet $50 (to win $3,000) on West Virginia University to win the 2020-2021 football national championship. Unfortunately for Barret, even the wonkiest college football season of all time couldn’t stop Alabama’s Crimson Tide from taking home another championship.
How old do you have to be to bet on sports in West Virginia?
The legal betting age in West Virginia is 21. Even non-West Virginia residents who are 21 and within West Virginia state lines can legally bet on sports.
Your location is a key part of the question of legality: If you travel to a state where betting isn’t legal, you will not be able to bet. (Don’t even try: Phones and laptops use geo-technology to make sure you’re within state lines.) The only people prohibited from betting on sports (even within the state) are athletes, coaches, refs, and other related personnel.
Do you have to pay taxes on sports betting in West Virginia?
According to the IRS, “Gambling winnings are fully taxable, and you must report the income on your tax return.” Use Form W-2G to report gambling winnings and gambling losses. On the bright side, your gambling losses may be deductible from your taxes.
For online gambling winnings over $600 and at least 300 times the amount of the wager, residents of West Virginia must file Form W-2G with the IRS.
Is it legal to bet on horse racing in West Virginia?
Residents can legally bet on horse racing in West Virginia at racetracks or with legal online providers such as TVG, BetAmerica, and TwinSpires. You cannot bet on horses at West Virginia sportsbooks.
Does West Virginia offer an online lottery?
No, West Virginia does not currently offer an online lottery system. They do allow residents to purchase lottery tickets at retail locations throughout the state, which can be found on the lottery website .
Is DraftKings sportsbook legal in West Virginia?
DraftKings is a safe and legal sports betting option for residents of West Virginia. DraftKings obtained its license from Hollywood Casino at Charles Town.
Is FanDuel sportsbook legal in West Virginia?
FanDuel is a safe and legal sports betting option for residents of West Virginia. FanDuel obtained its license from The Greenbrier.
Is Bovada legal in West Virginia?
Bovada, BetOnline, and MyBookie are considered offshore sportsbooks and are illegal in West Virginia. These sportsbooks are not approved by the West Virginia Lottery Commission, which regulates all legal West Virginia sportsbooks.
For Moneyline.com’s annual best online sportsbooks review, we collected more than 36,000 data points over five months from 20 sportsbooks that serve 11 states where full-scale mobile betting is legalized. Hundreds of hours were spent testing and scoring each sportsbook (mobile and online/desktop) in seven core categories: sports and bets offered, odds, live betting, mobile betting, education, ease of use, and bonuses and promotions. The results determined each sportsbook’s overall rating.
Data from more than 1,700 bets (including moneyline, spread and total bets) was used to generate each sportsbook’s comparative odds ranking. Leagues and bet types collected include NCAA football moneyline bets, NCAA basketball moneyline bets, NFL moneyline, spread and total bets, NBA spread, moneyline and total bets, NHL moneyline, puckline and total bets, and soccer 3-way result (moneyline) bets. When collecting odds, we made sure to collect the same games at the same time for each sportsbook, ensuring data accuracy.
About Moneyline.com’s chief sportsbook researcher, Joey Shadeck: I’ve been a hobby sports bettor for more than six years, placing hundreds of bets on my favorite sports (football, basketball, MMA) and teams (Packers, Spartans, and whoever is playing the Lions). Beyond sports betting, I’m known for saying “Wanna bet on it?” in almost any situation and that is how I found out I can eat 42 chicken nuggets in less than 20 minutes.
As of February 2021, 22 different states have legalized sports betting to some capacity. Of those 22 states, the following 11 have legalized full-scale mobile betting: Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada (must register in-person), New Hampshire, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia.
Learn more about how we test.
About the Author
Joey Shadeck Joey Shadeck is the lead writer for Moneyline.com and content strategist for Reink Media Group. He has closely tracked sports betting in the United States for the last two years, compiling hundreds of data points across dozens of sportsbooks. He has 6 years of online betting experience with hundreds of bets placed during that time.