Make no mistake, despite being a casino-based brand, MGM is all-in on online sports betting. The BetMGM app provides users with a wide collection of sports and bets to wager on, in addition to a full suite of casino and poker games.
Top Takeaways for 2021
After testing 20 online sportsbooks for our 2021 review, here are our top findings on BetMGM:
- Sports and bets offered: BetMGM sure isn’t stingy when it comes to the variety of bets it offers. On any given game — and for most sports — there are dozens of prop bets readily available. Odds boosts are also plentiful, and numerous features are available with the sole purpose of making it as easy as possible to throw down some money on your favorite stakes.
- BetMGM mobile app: Using the BetMGM app was a refreshing experience compared to other betting apps that also offer both sports and casino games. Mercifully, you’re not bombarded with prompts to play casino games on the BetMGM app. Also, placing bets is a breeze, thanks to well-placed mini-menus that pop up throughout the app.
- Welcome bonus: The new-customer promotion is a risk-free bet of up to $600 which is a highlight of BetMGM’s slate of promotions for new and existing bettors.
- Education: Educational content is buried deep in the app and does not provide the same level of detail as top competitors.
- Banking: Banking at BetMGM is quick and easy, deposit options include online bank transfer (ACH), debit/credit card, Neteller, PayNearMe, online banking, VIP Preferred, and cash at certain casino cages.
|Sports & Bets Offered|
|Bonuses & Promotions|
|Ease of Use|
What states is BetMGM legal in?
BetMGM is available online in the following states:
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- West Virginia
Casino: Of the states BetMGM operates in, Michigan, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia have legalized online casino games.
BetMGM is a product of MGM Resorts International, which operates hotels and casinos around the world. MGM Resorts International is headquartered in Las Vegas and publicly traded (NYSE: MGM). BetMGM is currently legal in eight states and looks to expand as more states roll out online sports betting. Read more on Wikipedia
BetMGM competes with the big dogs when it comes to promotions, offering a risk-free bet of up to $600 for new customers as well as several ongoing promotions throughout the year.
BetMGM welcome bonus
For first-time customers, BetMGM offers a risk-free bet up to $600. Several sportsbooks offer this promotion. While it is no doubt a solid promotion, sportsbooks such as Barstool Sportsbook and FanDuel Sportsbook offer $1,000 risk-free bets. Eligible bets must have odds of -200 or greater (ex. -150, +150, +200).
How does the BetMGM $600 risk-free bet work?
Once you open an account deposit up to $600. Place your first bet, up to $600. If your first bet wins, the promotion is over and you win your bet. If your first bet loses, BetMGM will refund it, up to $600, in four $150 free bets.
If your bet loses you will receive four free bets. This means if you bet $600 on your first bet and lose, you will receive four $150 free bets. After you use each free bet you will be eligible to withdraw any winnings from that free bet.
Still confused? No worries, risk-free bets are tricky when you're new to sports betting, here's a video detailing how BetMGM's risk-free bet works and how it stacks up to other sportsbooks.
BetMGM ongoing promotions:
I typically can't count the number of ongoing promotions BetMGM offers on both hands (and sometimes feet). In the span of two months (checking promotions every day) I received no less than 10 free bets, ranging from $5 - $25. This is in addition to a $200 deposit bonus (separate from the risk-free bet I got for signing up) as well as several other insurance-based promos.
BetMGM Sports and Bets Offered
BetMGM sure isn’t stingy when it comes to the variety of bets it offers. On any given game — and for most sports — there are dozens of prop bets readily available. Odds boosts are also plentiful, and numerous features are available with the sole purpose of making it as easy as possible to throw down some money on your favorite stakes. It’s 4.5-star rating puts it just behind DraftKings and PointsBet in the “Sports and Bets Offered” category.
What sports can you bet on at BetMGM?
BetMGM offers betting on over 20 different sports throughout the year.
|Total Sports Offered||14|
|Aussie Rules (AFL)||Yes|
|Sports & Bets Offered|
What bet types are available at BetMGM?
BetMGM offers all standard bet types (spread, moneyline, total) as well as a few unique betting features.
- Standard bet types: BetMGM offers all of the must common bet types including spread, moneyline, over/under (total), parlay, prop, future, and teaser bets. These bet types are featured at every sportsbook.
- Cash out feature: Like most sportsbooks, BetMGM offers a cash out feature. This allows bettors to amend their original bet and lock in a profit or a loss by settling the bet (or a portion of the bet) before the event has finished.
- Edit My Bet: Available at only a few sportsbooks, BetMGM’s “Edit My Bet” tool allows you to change any straight or parlay bet in conjunction with the cash out feature. You can take your existing bet and add, swap or remove a selection, or increase a stake. Say you bet $10 on the Minnesota Vikings to beat the Green Bay Packers. At the end of the first quarter, you realize Kirk Cousins is a man on a mission, and you think the over is going to hit. BetMGM will allow you to add a bet on the over to your existing bet on the Vikings.
- Easy Parlay: A parlay bet is a group of bets — typically spread, moneyline, or total bets — combined into one bet to increase the payout odds. BetMGM’s “Easy Parlay” feature lines up all spread, moneyline, and total bets for a slate of games, allowing you to quickly build a parlay. While parlays make for an exciting bet, sportsbooks like BetMGM focus on getting people to make more of them because the odds favor the sportsbook. That said, I’m that sucker who loves parlaying each NFL game, and I picture myself using this tool every week.
BetMGM Sports and Bets Offered
BetMGM Mobile App Review
Using the BetMGM app was a refreshing experience compared to other betting apps that also offer both sports and casino games. Mercifully, you’re not bombarded with prompts to play casino games on the BetMGM app.
BetMGM app pros: Placing bets is a breeze, thanks to well-placed mini-menus that pop up throughout the app.
BetMGM app cons: Accessing customer support on both the mobile app and the desktop version of the site was nearly impossible. The only reason I stumbled upon any customer support option was because I was having account registration issues and was eventually offered help via live chat. (See “What kind of customer support does BetMGM offer?” below for directions on how to navigate to help.)
BetMGM Mobile App
BetMGM Website Experience
Although both get the job done I prefer the mobile app to the website. The website jams so many different widgets and bets that it can feel cluttered - odds boosts especially eat up a large part of the screen.
BetMGM Sports Betting Education
BetMGM has a sports betting guide that does a good job schooling users on basic bet types such as moneyline, spread, and total bets. However, I struggled to locate the guide in the mobile app. (For some reason it’s listed under promotions instead of the help or FAQ sections of the app.) Outside of this introductory guide, BetMGM offers little additional educational content.
BetMGM Odds Analysis
BetMGM finished 15th out of 20 sportsbooks we collected data on for our 2021 odds testing.
BetMGM above-average odds: BetMGM offers above-average odds on soccer moneyline bets and NCAAB moneyline bets. For comparison, if average soccer moneyline odds on a team are +130 at other sports betting sites, BetMGM might offer odds at +140. In this example, every dollar wagered would return $1.40 at BetMGM versus $1.30 at other sites.
BetMGM below-average odds: BetMGM offers below-average odds on NFL spread bets, NFL total bets, NHL total bets, and NHL spread bets. For comparison, if average NHL spread odds on a team are -110 at other sports betting sites, BetMGM might offer odds at -115. In this example, every dollar wagered would return $.87 at BetMGM versus $.91 at other sites.
|NFL Spread||Below Average|
|NFL Total||Below Average|
|NHL Total||Below Average|
Methodology: To score Odds, Moneyline.com gathered data from 20 sportsbooks over five months. For our 2021 Sportsbook Review, over 34,000 data points were collected for spread, moneyline, and over/under (bets).
Leagues and bet types collected include NCAA football moneyline bets, NCAA basketball moneyline bets, NFL moneyline, spread and total bets, NBA spread, moneyline and total bets, NHL moneyline, puckline and total bets, and soccer 3-way result (moneyline) bets. When collecting odds, we made sure to collect the same games at the same time for each sportsbook, ensuring data accuracy.
BetMGM Live Betting
While BetMGM provides live stats, live streaming, and a live match tracker, there’s a noticeable void when it comes to live prop bets. Also missing (surprisingly) is a live match tracker for NFL games. That said, as someone who rarely bets live props, without these BetMGM still has enough features to satisfy me, and likely a majority of live bettors.
- Instant bets - You’ll find some instant bets at BetMGM, like next drive results for NFL games, but not much else beyond that (as in, next point bets aren’t available for ping pong games).
- Live match tracker - If you’re new to sports betting, a live match tracker is an animated graphic that typically has a live game clock, live score and shows which team possesses the ball in real-time. BetMGM offers an average quality match tracker for live sports like hockey, basketball, and soccer. However, we’re disappointed that there’s no tracker available for NFL games.
- Live streaming - BetMGM is one of several sports betting apps to offer live streaming of games. Be aware that for all sportsbooks, live streaming is currently limited to international sports (such as basketball, soccer, hockey, tennis, and table tennis matches) because of the high costs of licensing live broadcasting rights.
BetMGM Live Betting
What do you need to create a BetMGM account?
Creating a BetMGM account takes about five minutes and requires the following information:
- First and last name
- Date of birth
- Last four digits of your social security number
- Phone number
Although creating an account is quick and easy, you can test drive the app without creating an account. Just by downloading the app you can view the layout, promotions, sports and bets offered, and more. I recommend doing this to see if you like the user interface before actually creating an account.
Here are screenshots of everything you need to open a BetMGM account.
What you need to create an account at BetMGM
How to deposit and withdraw money at BetMGM
The easiest way to deposit and withdraw money is by 1) linking an online banking account 2) selecting the amount you want to deposit or withdraw 3) login to your bank 4) select the proper account 5) deposit or withdraw funds.
What deposit methods does BetMGM offer?
Bettors can currently deposit via online bank transfer (ACH), debit/credit card, Neteller, PayNearMe, online banking, VIP Preferred, and cash at certain casino cages.
- Online Bank Transfers - Available at almost every sportsbook, you can link your bank account to your sports betting account. Hundreds of banks are available to link to, so there's a good chance you'll be able to link a checking or savings account. Most sportsbooks use companies such as Plaid to provide incredibly safe bank transfers. We recommend this method over all alternatives, as online bank transfers are free, fast, and efficient.
- Debit/Credit Cards - Also readily available, you can use a debit or credit card to deposit money. Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express are all typically accepted as card providers. Pro Tip - Don't use your credit card if you don't have the money. Betting on sports can be risky and you should only bet with money you are willing to lose.
- PayPal - PayPal is offered by a majority of sportsbooks. PayPal, a third-party payment processor, is a fast and secure way to send and receive money.
- Cash - You can also deposit and withdraw money by visiting the casino that the sports betting app is partnered with. For example, in Michigan, you can deposit and withdraw money to your BetMGM account at the BetMGM Casino in Detroit.
|Total Deposit Methods||8|
|No Debit/Credit Card Deposit Fees||Yes|
|Deposit Min/Max - Debit/Credit Card||$0/Varies|
What withdrawal methods does BetMGM offer?
BetMGM currently processes withdrawals via check, online bank transfer (ACH/eCheck), PayPal, VIP Preferred, Skrill, Play+ prepaid cards, and cash at certain casinos. Minimum deposits and withdrawals are $10.
|Total Withdrawal Methods||6|
|Check Payout Speed is < 10 days||Yes|
|No Withdrawal Fees - Check||Yes|
|Withdrawal Min/Max - Check||$0/Varies|
What is the minimum deposit at BetMGM?
The minimum amount required to open an account at BetMGM is $10.
Where is BetMGM licensed?
BetMGM is licensed in the following states: Colorado, District of Columbia, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. Here's where BetMGM obtained its license from in each state:
- Colorado: Midnight Rose Casino
- District of Columbia: DC Lottery
- Indiana: Boyd’s Casino
- Iowa: Diamond Jo Casino
- Michigan: MGM Grand Casino
- Nevada: Nevada Gaming Control Board
- New Jersey: Borgata Casino
- Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board
- Virginia: Virginia Lottery
- West Virginia: The Greenbrier
What customer support does BetMGM offer?
BetMGM currently offers email support, live chat support, and phone support. It is more complicated than it should be to get a hold of customer support. Our tester had to try multiple agents before getting the help needed to open an account. His advice: “The best way to get a hold of BetMGM customer support is to go to the FAQ section, view a few FAQs, and hit ‘No’ when prompted with ‘Did you find what you are looking for?’ This takes you to the customer support screen, which finally allows you to access live chat support”
|Live Chat Support||Yes|
|Live Chat Support Availability||Yes|
|Email Support Speed||Yes|
BetMGM Casino Summary
233 different online slots are available, from Celopatra to Monopoly. That's in addition to a broad selection of table games including blackjack, roulette, video poker, and baccarat.
BetMGM is one of the few sportsbooks to offer premium Blackjack. Even though the game is the same, the virtual table, chips, and sounds are all... premium. It sounds silly, but once you play premium virtual table games the 2D versions aren't the same.
|Online Slot Machines||123|
|Online Virtual Poker||Yes|
|Online Virtual Sports||No|
BetMGM Casino Welcome Bonus
- Eligibility - BetMGM is offering this casino deposit match to all new customers. This promotion is only available in states that have legalized online casino games. This offer is available until 12/31/21.
- How to get it - Create a BetMGM account, and $25 FREEPLAY will automatically be added to your account. Please make your first casino deposit, and BetMGM will match it 100%, up to $1,000 in FREEPLAY.
- Things to know - Before being able to withdraw any FREEPLAY money, there is a 15X rollover requirement. For example, if you receive $5 in FREEPLAY, you will have to wager $75 before withdrawing the $5 in FREEPLAY. Players only have 14 days to roll over FREEPLAY before it is lost. Clear out some room on your calendar, and keep this in mind before depositing! Note, players can opt-out of this bonus at any time.
- Moneyline subjective score - 7/10. Full disclaimer, I've never been a huge casino player. For someone that plays casino games every day, this bonus could be enticing. For someone like myself who mainly bets on sports and plays a few hands of blackjack now and then, this bonus isn't worth it.
BetMGM Poker Summary
Although poker is located on a separate app (BetMGM Poker), you use the same login credentials. You can quickly hop into a sit & go or cash game, or wait for nightly tournaments to try and leave with a bigger pot.
I prefer the FOX Bet / PokerStars poker experience to BetMGM's, although both are pleasant. The FOX Bet app is more visually pleasing and there are more games to choose from at different buy-in intervals.
How long does BetMGM take to pay out?
BetMGM pays out withdrawals in one to three days, depending on what withdrawal method you select. Online bank transfers and PayPal are our recommend methods, as they only take a day or two.
How does BetMGM's risk free bet work?
BetMGM's risk-free bet promotion makes your first bet after depositing money risk-free. If you win the bet the promotion is over and if you lose the bet the money is refunded to your account in four free bets. With risk-free bets the one catch is that if you lose you have to bet the amount of money again (in free bets) before you can withdraw any winnings.
- If your first bet wins: The promotion is over, you won your first bet. The value in this promotion is that it allows you to bet more money than you typically would, because if you lose the money gets refunded. Instead of betting $50 on a game for your first bet, you could bet up to $600.
- If your first bet loses: You will be refunded the full amount of the bet, up to $600, in four free bets. You have to use all four free bets before you can withdraw any winnings from those free bets.
If you haven’t logged on to BetMGM since its 2018 rollout, take a second look. The BetMGM of 2021 is a far cry from original version of the app, which now seems ancient in comparison. BetMGM has blossomed into a solid sportsbook with a ton of features (not to mention dozens of prop bets and odds boosts) that make it incredibly easy to place bets on your favorite teams.
For Moneyline.com’s annual best online sportsbooks review, we collected more than 36,000 data points over five months from 20 sportsbooks that serve 11 states where full-scale mobile betting is legalized. Hundreds of hours were spent testing and scoring each sportsbook (mobile and online/desktop) in seven core categories: sports and bets offered, odds, live betting, mobile betting, education, ease of use, and bonuses and promotions. The results determined each sportsbook’s overall rating.
Data from more than 1,700 bets (including moneyline, spread and total bets) was used to generate each sportsbook’s comparative odds ranking. Leagues and bet types collected include NCAA football moneyline bets, NCAA basketball moneyline bets, NFL moneyline, spread and total bets, NBA spread, moneyline and total bets, NHL moneyline, puckline and total bets, and soccer 3-way result (moneyline) bets. When collecting odds, we made sure to collect the same games at the same time for each sportsbook, ensuring data accuracy.
About Moneyline.com’s chief sportsbook researcher, Joey Shadeck: I’ve been a hobby sports bettor for more than six years, placing hundreds of bets on my favorite sports (football, basketball, MMA) and teams (Packers, Spartans, and whoever is playing the Lions). Beyond sports betting, I’m known for saying “Wanna bet on it?” in almost any situation and that is how I found out I can eat 42 chicken nuggets in less than 20 minutes.
As of February 2021, 22 different states have legalized sports betting to some capacity. Of those 22 states, the following 11 have legalized full-scale mobile betting: Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada (must register in-person), New Hampshire, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia.
About the author: Joey Shadeck Joey Shadeck is the lead writer for Moneyline.com and content strategist for Reink Media Group. He has closely tracked sports betting in the United States for the last two years, compiling hundreds of data points across dozens of sportsbooks. He has 6 years of online betting experience with hundreds of bets placed during that time.