Top Takeaways for 2021
After testing 20 online sportsbooks for our 2021 review, here are our top findings on BetMGM:
- BetMGM’s flexibility allows users to quickly place, edit, and look up an abundant variety of bets (especially prop bets) to make.
- The new-customer promotion is a risk-free bet of up to $600 is a highlight of BetMGM’s slate of promotions for new and existing bettors.
- Our main knock is that educational content and customer support is buried deep in the app.
Supported states: Colorado, Indiana, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and West Virginia.
Casino: BetMGM offers online casino games in Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia. The roster consists of 123 slot games, virtual table games (such as roulette and blackjack), and virtual poker. (Note: This review focuses on sports betting and not online casino games.)
Poker: BetMGM is one of the few online sportsbooks to host online poker against real players. This feature is currently available only in Michigan, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. Available games include Texas Hold’em, Omaha, Omaha Hi/Lo, Seven Card Stud, and Seven Card Stud Hi/Lo. Daily tournaments are available, as well as Sit n’ Go tables. (Note: This review focuses on sports betting and not poker.)
|Sports & Bets Offered|
|Bonuses & Promotions|
|Ease of Use|
Sports and Bets Offered
BetMGM sure isn’t stingy when it comes to the variety of bets it offers. On any given game — and for most sports — there are dozens of prop bets readily available. Odds boosts are also plentiful, and numerous features are available with the sole purpose of making it as easy as possible to throw down some money on your favorite stakes. It’s 4.5-star rating puts it just behind DraftKings and PointsBet in the “Sports and Bets Offered” category.
Cash out feature: Like most sportsbooks, BetMGM offers a cash out feature. This allows bettors to amend their original bet and lock in a profit or a loss by settling the bet (or a portion of the bet) before the event has finished.
Edit My Bet: Available at only a few sportsbooks, BetMGM’s “Edit My Bet” tool allows you to change any straight or parlay bet in conjunction with the cash out feature. (Click here for list of common betting terms.) You can take your existing bet and add, swap or remove a selection, or increase a stake. Say you bet $10 on the Minnesota Vikings to beat the Green Bay Packers. At the end of the first quarter, you realize Kirk Cousins is a man on a mission, and you think the over is going to hit. BetMGM will allow you to add a bet on the over to your existing bet on the Vikings.
Easy Parlay: A parlay bet is a group of bets — typically spread, moneyline, or total bets — combined into one bet to increase the payout odds. BetMGM’s “Easy Parlay” feature lines up all spread, moneyline, and total bets for a slate of games, allowing you to quickly build a parlay. While parlays make for an exciting bet, sportsbooks like BetMGM focus on getting people to make more of them because the odds favor the sportsbook. That said, I’m that sucker who loves parlaying each NFL game, and I picture myself using this tool every week.
As displayed in the table below, BetMGM offers good odds on soccer moneyline bets and NCAAB moneyline bets. For comparison, if average soccer moneyline odds on a team are +130 at other sports betting sites, BetMGM might offer odds at +140. In this example, every dollar wagered would return $1.40 at BetMGM versus $1.30 at other sites.
The sportsbook offers below average odds on NFL spread bets, NFL total bets, NHL total bets, and NHL spread bets. For comparison, if average NHL spread odds on a team are -110 at other sports betting sites, BetMGM might offer odds at -115. In this example, every dollar wagered would return $.87 at BetMGM versus $.91 at other sites.
|NFL Spread||Below Average|
|NFL Total||Below Average|
|NHL Total||Below Average|
Methodology: To score Odds, Moneyline.com gathered data from 20 sportsbooks over five months. For our 2021 Sportsbook Review, over 34,000 data points were collected for spread, moneyline, and over/under (bets).
Leagues and bet types collected include NCAA football moneyline bets, NCAA basketball moneyline bets, NFL moneyline, spread and total bets, NBA spread, moneyline and total bets, NHL moneyline, puckline and total bets, and soccer 3-way result (moneyline) bets. When collecting odds, we made sure to collect the same games at the same time for each sportsbook, ensuring data accuracy.
While BetMGM provides live stats, live streaming, and a live match tracker, there’s a noticeable void when it comes to live prop bets. Also missing (surprisingly) is a live match tracker for NFL games. That said, as someone who rarely bets live props, without these BetMGM still has enough features to satisfy me, and likely a majority of live bettors.
Instant bets: You’ll find some instant bets at BetMGM, like next drive results for NFL games, but not much else beyond that (as in, next point bets aren’t available for ping pong games).
Prop bets: BetMGM doesn’t offer many in-play prop bets. (Quick example of a prop bet: “How many yards will Patrick Mahomes throw for?” ) If live prop bets are your thing, sportsbooks such as SportsBetting.com and DraftKings offer a more robust lineup.
Live match tracker overview: If you’re new to sports betting, a live match tracker is an animated graphic that typically has a live game clock, live score and shows which team possesses the ball in real-time. BetMGM offers an average quality match tracker for live sports like hockey, basketball, and soccer. However, we’re disappointed that there’s no tracker available for NFL games.
Live Streaming: BetMGM is one of several sports betting apps to offer live streaming of games. Be aware that for all sportsbooks, live streaming is currently limited to international sports (such as basketball, soccer, hockey, tennis, and table tennis matches) because of the high costs of licensing live broadcasting rights.
BetMGM Mobile App
Using the BetMGM app was a refreshing experience compared to other betting apps that also offer both sports and casino games. Mercifully, you’re not bombarded with prompts to play casino games on the BetMGM app. Also, placing bets is a breeze, thanks to well-placed mini-menus that pop up throughout the app.
Easy app navigation aside, accessing customer support on both the mobile app and the desktop version of the site was nearly impossible. The only reason I stumbled upon any customer support option was because I was having account registration issues and was eventually offered help via live chat. (See “What kind of customer support does BetMGM offer?” below for directions on how to navigate to help.)
BetMGM blog: BetMGM is one of the few online sportsbooks with a blog. The BetMGM blog is a mix of current articles and fun, random sports discussion topics. Blog posts range from “NFL Week 17 Power Rankings” to “Ranking the Best Super Bowls of the 2010s.” I found myself comparing my opinion about the best Super Bowls of the 2010’s (Patriots vs. Eagles in Super Bowl LII is easily No. 1, imho) to the author’s pick (Super Bowl LI: Patriots vs. Falcons (OT)).
BetMGM has a sports betting guide that does a good job schooling users on basic bet types such as moneyline, spread, and total bets. However, I struggled to locate the guide in the mobile app. (For some reason it’s listed under promotions instead of the help or FAQ sections of the app.) Outside of this introductory guide, BetMGM offers little additional educational content.
Bonuses & Promotions
BetMGM competes with the big dogs when it comes to promotions, offering a risk-free bet of up to $600 for new customers as well as several ongoing promotions throughout the year. For a full list of promotions for new and existing customer see our BetMGM bonuses page.
New customers: BetMGM’s risk-free bet of up to $600 is more than what most sportsbooks offer. But it’s certainly not the ceiling. For an even sweeter signup bonus, check out FanDuel and PointsBet which offer risk-free bonuses between $1,000 - $1,500.
Existing customers: BetMGM’s ongoing promotions range from weekly free bets to parlay-based promotions and more. The array is above-average (around five promotions at any given time), and I enjoyed some of the basketball and football promotions centered around making a same-game parlay.
BetMGM Welcome Bonuses for April 2021
BetMGM allows users to choose between a $600 risk-free bet for sports betting, a 100% deposit match up to $1,000 for casino games, or a 100% deposit match up to $600 for online poker. Keep in mind; these bonuses are subject to change on a state-by-state basis. Scroll to the end of our review for a recap of ongoing promotions!
It's Showtime $600 Risk-Free Bet
With this promotion, new customers are eligible for a $600 risk-free bet to use on the sportsbook.
- Eligibility - BetMGM is offering this risk-free bet to all new customers. The amount of the bet may vary by state. This offer is available from 2/1/21 to 12/31/21.
- How to get it - Create a BetMGM account, make a deposit, and place a bet. Keep in mind; the risk-free bet must be your first bet. If your first bet wins, you will receive your payout, and the promotion is over. If you lose, your account will be refunded up to $600. BetMGM refunds losses in 20% increments. So if you deposit $600 and lose your first bet, BetMGM will give you five ($120) free bets. Also, if your bet loses, you must rollover the full amount at least once before withdrawing. So if you deposit $600 and lose, you must use all of your free bets before you can withdraw your money.
- Things to know - If your risk-free bet loses, free bets must be redeemed within seven days of them being credited to your account. If you don't use your free bets within seven days, they become void. If you win your free bet, you only get paid the winnings, not the stake of the free bet.
- Moneyline subjective score - 8/10. This risk-free bet is a bit different from those offered by FanDuel or PointsBet . If you deposited $600 at FanDuel for the risk-free bet promotion and lost, you would be able to roll the money over at your own pace. At BetMGM, you are forced to roll it over with five free bets of $120.
100% Casino Deposit Match Up To $1,000
- Eligibility - BetMGM is offering this casino deposit match to all new customers. This promotion is only available in states that have legalized online casino games. This offer is available until 12/31/21.
- How to get it - Create a BetMGM account, and $25 FREEPLAY will automatically be added to your account. Please make your first casino deposit, and BetMGM will match it 100%, up to $1,000 in FREEPLAY.
- Things to know - Before being able to withdraw any FREEPLAY money, there is a 15X rollover requirement. For example, if you receive $5 in FREEPLAY, you will have to wager $75 before withdrawing the $5 in FREEPLAY. Players only have 14 days to roll over FREEPLAY before it is lost. Clear out some room on your calendar, and keep this in mind before depositing! Note, players can opt-out of this bonus at any time.
- Moneyline subjective score - 7/10. Full disclaimer, I've never been a huge casino player. For someone that plays casino games every day, this bonus could be enticing. For someone like myself who mainly bets on sports and plays a few hands of blackjack now and then, this bonus isn't worth it.
100% Deposit Match Up To $600
- Eligibility - BetMGM is offering this poker deposit match to all new customers. This promotion is only available in states that have legalized online poker. The amount of the offer may vary by state. For example, while Michigan residents can get a deposit match up to $600, New Jersey residents get up to $1,000. This offer is available until 12/31/21.
- How to get it - Create a BetMGM account or BetMGM Poker account, and the deposit will be matched using a release restricted bonus.
- Things to know- The bonus is a lot harder to obtain than what you would assume. Bonus cash is released in 10% increments. You earn iReward Points (iRPs) for each game played to release cash. You typically have to wager between $5 - $25 to unlock a $1 in real money for casino bonuses. For poker, the iRPs you collect depends on the tournament fee paid or the rake collected in cash games. In other words, take the sports betting or casino bonus.
- Moneyline subjective score - 5/10. Poker welcome bonuses are tough to unlock, and this one is no different. Even if you play a lot, you might only unlock a few dollars in bonus money because you aren't playing tournaments or high-rake cash games.
If you haven’t logged on to BetMGM since its 2018 rollout, take a second look. The BetMGM of 2021 is a far cry from original version of the app, which now seems ancient in comparison. BetMGM has blossomed into a solid sportsbook with a ton of features (not to mention dozens of prop bets and odds boosts) that make it incredibly easy to place bets on your favorite teams.
BetMGM is a product of MGM Resorts International, which operates hotels and casinos around the world. MGM Resorts International is headquartered in Las Vegas and publicly traded (NYSE: MGM). BetMGM is currently legal in eight states and looks to expand as more states roll out online sports betting. Read more on Wikipedia
What states is BetMGM legal in?
BetMGM is legal in Colorado, Indiana, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and West Virginia.
What deposit methods does BetMGM offer?
Deposit options vary by state and include online bank transfer (ACH), debit/credit card, Neteller, PayNearMe, online banking, VIP Preferred, and cash at certain casino cages.
|Total Deposit Methods||8|
|No Debit/Credit Card Deposit Fees||Yes|
|Deposit Min/Max - Debit/Credit Card||$0/Varies|
What withdrawal methods does BetMGM offer?
Withdrawal options vary by state and include check, online bank transfer (ACH/eCheck), PayPal, VIP Preferred, Skrill, Play+ prepaid cards, and cash at certain casinos. Minimum deposits and withdrawals are $10.
|Total Withdrawal Methods||6|
|Check Payout Speed is < 10 days||Yes|
|No Withdrawal Fees - Check||Yes|
|Withdrawal Min/Max - Check||$0/Varies|
What is the minimum deposit at BetMGM?
The minimum amount required to open an account at BetMGM is $10.
What kind of customer support does BetMGM offer?
BetMGM currently offers email support, live chat support, and phone support. It is more complicated than it should be to get a hold of customer support. Our tester had to try multiple agents before getting the help needed to open an account. His advice: “The best way to get a hold of BetMGM customer support is to go to the FAQ section, view a few FAQs, and hit ‘No’ when prompted with ‘Did you find what you are looking for?’ This takes you to the customer support screen, which finally allows you to access live chat support”
What sports can you bet on at BetMGM?
BetMGM offers betting on over 20 different sports throughout the year.
|Total Sports Offered||14|
|Aussie Rules (AFL)||Yes|
|Sports & Bets Offered|
Ongoing Sportsbook Promotions
Ongoing sports betting promotions at BetMGM include profit boosts, odds boosts, free bets, and parlay boosts, amongst others.
NBA One Game Parlay Insurance
- Available in all states, it expires 7/21/21. This offer is for existing customers.
- Use the One Game Parlay menu to make a 4+ leg parlay on an NBA game. If three of the four legs win, but one loses, you get your money back up to $25. You must opt-in to this promo.
- Moneyline subjective score - 6/10. Several sportsbooks offer this exact same promotion. Parlay bets are easy money-makers for sportsbooks.
NHL Parlay Boost Token
- Available in all states, it expires 7/15/21. This bonus will have a different expiration date once it is in your account, be sure to check for this.
- Use the odds boost token to boost the odds of any Masters single wagers. The maximum stake when using this token is $200.
- Moneyline subjective score - 7/10. If you were already going to bet on the Masters, you might as well boost your odds!
Masters Boost Token
- Available in all states, it expires 12/31/21.
- Opt into the Money Monday Club and receive a $10 free bet when you place a total of $50 in qualifying wagers (minimum odds of -300 or greater) during the previous week (Monday through Sunday). Free bets must be used within seven days.
- Moneyline subjective score - 9/10. If you are using BetMGM as one of your primary sportsbooks, this promotion is excellent. Free bets are fantastic, especially on a weekly basis.
$10 Free Bet Each Week
- Available in all states, it expires 4/12/21. This bonus will have a separate expiration date once it is in your account, be sure to check for this. You must opt-in to this promotion.
- Use the parlay boost token to boost an NHL parlay's potential profit, pre-game or live, by 10%. Selections must have at least three legs. For example, if your parlay would pay out $100, the parlay booster would boost the payout to $110. The max stake on this promotion is $100.
- Moneyline subjective score - 6/10. This promotion type is widely available at different sportsbooks because parlays are hard to hit and tend to favor the sportsbook.
- Available in all states, it expires 12/31/21.
- Place a four to seven leg parlay on any combination of sports or events. If your parlay wins, receive an extra profit boost. Four leg parlays receive a 15% profit boost, 20% for five legs, 30% for six legs, and 40% for seven legs. All profit boosts are paid out in free bets, which then must be used within seven days.
- Moneyline subjective score - 7/10. Parlays are really hard to hit, especially once you start adding more than a few legs.
Ongoing Casino Promotions
Ongoing casino promotions at BetMGM include free spins, bet & get, and spin the wheel promotions, amongst others. Remember, online casino games are only available in select states that have legalized them. Also, each state has its own promotions. Promotions tend to be the same in terms of bonus money and rollover but vary based on what slots are popular in that state.
Divine Fortune MegaWays Bet & Get
- Available in all states, it expires 4/09/21.
- Bet $20 on our Divine Fortune MegaWays slot and get $10 FREEPLAY to keep playing.
- Moneyline subjective score - 6/10. If you like this particular slot, this is a decent promotion, otherwise, it's meh.
- Available in all states where casino games are legal every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Expires 12/26/21.
- Receive $5 FREEPLAY after playing a minimum of $20 on casino games, receive $25 FREEPLAY after playing a minimum of $250 on casino games, and receive $100 FREEPLAY after playing a minimum of $10,000 on casino games. FREEPLAY has a 25X rollover requirement and must be rolled over within one day of receiving it.
- Moneyline subjective score - 3/10. A 25X rollover requirement with only one day to roll the FREEPLAY over is ridiculous.
MGM Grand Millions Bet & Get
- Available in all states, it expires 4/09/21.
- Earn $10 FREEPLAY playing the MGM Grand Millions slot by betting $20 on the game.
- Moneyline subjective score - 3/10. FREEPLAY can only be used on the MGM Grand Millions game, has a 25X rollover requirement, and must be used in one day.
Ongoing Poker Promotions
Ongoing poker promotions at BetMGM include deposit matches and unique ways to earn bonus money. None of these ongoing promotions are worth shoving all-in on, so we've shortened the descriptions below.
- Deposit $50 for a $50 poker bonus - You must earn 120 loyalty points within 21 days to fully unlock this bonus.
- Sit & go leaderboard - BetMGM gives you bonus money depending on how many sit & go games you play.
- The grind - Earn free points, which can be converted into cash for each game you play. I played a $100 tournament and got 37.79 points, 62.21 points away from earning my first prize, a whopping $1.
For Moneyline.com’s annual best online sportsbooks review, we collected more than 36,000 data points over five months from 20 sportsbooks that serve 11 states where full-scale mobile betting is legalized. Hundreds of hours were spent testing and scoring each sportsbook (mobile and online/desktop) in seven core categories: sports and bets offered, odds, live betting, mobile betting, education, ease of use, and bonuses and promotions. The results determined each sportsbook’s overall rating.
Data from more than 1,700 bets (including moneyline, spread and total bets) was used to generate each sportsbook’s comparative odds ranking. Leagues and bet types collected include NCAA football moneyline bets, NCAA basketball moneyline bets, NFL moneyline, spread and total bets, NBA spread, moneyline and total bets, NHL moneyline, puckline and total bets, and soccer 3-way result (moneyline) bets. When collecting odds, we made sure to collect the same games at the same time for each sportsbook, ensuring data accuracy.
About Moneyline.com’s chief sportsbook researcher, Joey Shadeck: I’ve been a hobby sports bettor for more than six years, placing hundreds of bets on my favorite sports (football, basketball, MMA) and teams (Packers, Spartans, and whoever is playing the Lions). Beyond sports betting, I’m known for saying “Wanna bet on it?” in almost any situation and that is how I found out I can eat 42 chicken nuggets in less than 20 minutes.
As of February 2021, 22 different states have legalized sports betting to some capacity. Of those 22 states, the following 11 have legalized full-scale mobile betting: Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada (must register in-person), New Hampshire, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia.
About the author: Joey Shadeck Joey Shadeck is the lead writer for Moneyline.com and content strategist for Reink Media Group. He has closely tracked sports betting in the United States for the last two years, compiling hundreds of data points across dozens of sportsbooks. He has 6 years of online betting experience with hundreds of bets placed during that time.